Spicy Baby Corn Rice
Spicy Baby Corn Rice
This spicy baby corn pulav has the aromatic flavor garam masala, the spiciness of the green chilies, the slight tang of the tomatoes and the light sweetness of the baby corn – all in one dish.
You can use either pressure cooker to cook the rice or you can also cook the rice in a pan or pot.. Depending on the type of rice, add 1.5 to 2 cups water while pressure cooking.
* 1 cup basmati rice or seeraga samba or any regular rice, 200 grams
* 100 to 150 grams baby corn, 12 to 14 baby corns
* 2 tbsp oil
* ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
* 1 inch cinnamon/ dal chini
* 1 small to medium tej patta/indian bay leaf
* 2 to 3 green cardamoms/hari elaichi/choti elaichi
* 2 to 3 cloves/lavang
* 1 small star anise/chakriphool (optional)
* 50 grams onion or 1 medium onion, finely chopped or ⅓ cup finely * chopped onion
* ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
* ¼ tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
* ½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
* 1.5 to 2 cups water for pressure cooking
* salt as required
* 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta for garnish
Grounded paste :
* 65 grams tomato or 1 medium tomato or ½ cup chopped tomatoes
* ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
* 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
* ½ inch ginger/adrak, chopped
* 3 to 4 small to medium garlic cloves/lahsun, chopped
1) Rinse and soak the rice for 30 mins after 30 mins take out water fully.
2) Meanwhile ground all the paste ingredients in a blender with out adding any water.
3) heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker.
4) add the following whole garam masala and saute till they crackle - ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 small to medium tej patta, 2 to 3 green cardamoms, 2 to 3 cloves and 1 small star anise (optional).
5) next add ⅓ cup finely chopped onion.and fry them till brown.
6) then add the ground paste. stir and saute for 1 to 2 minutes on a low flame.
7)next add the spice powders - ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chilli powder and ½ tsp coriander powder and mix very well.
7)add sliced or chopped baby corn (100 to 150 grams baby corn). stir and then add the rice.
8)stir and mix the rice with the rest of the ingredients.
9)add 1.5 to 2 cups water. add water depending on the quality of rice. i added 1.75 cups water.
10)add salt. stir very well. check the taste of the stock and it should taste a bit salty.
11)pressure cook on medium flame for 2 to 3 whistles or 8 to 10 minutes. if you add 2 cups water, then pressure cook for 3 whistles and if you add 1.5 to 1.75 then cook for 2 whistles.
12)let the pressure come down on its own and then remove the lid. fluff the rice with a fork.
You can serve baby corn rice with a regular raita or boondi raita and a veggie salad.