4.0 Stars based on 291
Ugadi Pachadi is a special preparation prepared in every Andhra home on Telugu New Year’s day. Its made with fresh tamarind, jaggery(panela), fresh mangoes and neem flowers (margosa). One can add sugarcane, coconut and bananas also. The sweetness of jaggery, the sourness of tamarind, the bitterness of neemflower and the pungent flavor of the green mango skin, spice of the chilli powder ,raw tender mango’s taste and lastly salt form the shadhruchulu or six tastes of the sauce.
- 1 cup of raw fresh mango cleaned, dried, finely chopped along with skin
- 1 tbsp margosa flowers (neem tree flowers)
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 1 tbsp fresh finely chopped coconut pieces (optional)
- 3 -4 tbsp tamarind paste
- red chilli pwd (according to your choice)
- salt to taste
- Mix all the above ingredients to form a sauce like appearence.
- If you want a thin and watery chutney add very little water (2-3 tbsps).
- You can also add small pieces of sugarcane, pieces of ripe banana, putanaala pappu (roasted channa dal) along with the given ingredients