* Increased flexibility, core strength, deep breathing, correct body alignment, better concentration, mood, conditioning of mind comes easily with the practice of yoga. Yoga is beneficial for chronic ailments such as arthritis, weight loss, asthma, heart disease, insomnia and diabetes.
* Urdhva Mukha Shavasana, Simhasana, Garudasana, Pavanmuktasana, Ushtrasana are some poses that help to get rid of tummy and waist fat. The postures tone and strengthen the abdominal muscles. It also increases the metabolic rate, which aids in efficient digestion. Apart from the poses, breathing exercises are also effective in getting rid of tummy weight.
* Every woman differs with respect to menstruation. It is important to listen to your body during the menstrual cycle. Practicing inversions during this period is not advisable since the blood flows in the opposite direction, which could disturb the reproductive system and may lead to other problems. Backbends, twists, kapalbhati and any asana that stresses the abdominal and pelvic region should be avoided.
* Both are equally rewarding. Yoga gives body strength, flexibility and energy. It also focuses on the calmness of mind. The results are long lasting when practiced regularly. Gym builds stamina and strength in a short period. The exercises in the gym are designed to increase the heartbeat and burns more calories. Whichever form of exercise, you choose to follow, make sure you practice under a qualified instructor.
* Yoga can help kids counter the pressures and stress that they face in today’s lifestyle. Yoga enhances flexibility, coordination, body awareness and strength. It also helps in concentration, relaxation and sense of calmness. Introduction to Yoga can start at an early age for kids since their body is more agile and flexible. It is advisable to start yoga for kids by the age of 6 or 7 years.
* Practicing Yoga also aids reproductive health and helps in fertility. If you are already practicing yoga, none of the poses will cause problems in conception. However, you should be cautious once you get pregnant. Pranayama (breathing exercises), Dandasana, Malasana, Paschimottanasana, Upavistha Konasana, Janu Shirsasana and Supta Virasana are some poses recommended for fertility and reproductive health.