Winter Foot Care Tips
During cold and damp weather conditions it is important to keep your feet warm and dry. It can be critical for the elderly and people with circulation problems such as Raynaud’s syndrome and especially important for diabetics. During cold weather the body moves the blood away from the outer limbs such as the fingers and toes in order to maintain a constant body temperature.
* Wear thicker non-constricting socks.
* Wear comfortable fitting (never too tight) waterproof boots.
* Should your feet be exposed to cold and dampness for any prolonged period Do NOT put them in HOT water, near a flame (such as a fireplace) or use a heating pad.
* Instead soak them in Warm water at a constant temperature gradually allowing the feet regain their normal temperature.
* Be careful to not let the water get hot.
* Dry them thoroughly and repeat the process if necessary.
* Drink plenty of fluids.