4.0 Stars based on 291
Bitter gourd ( kakara kaya) is good for diabetes and stomach ailments. This recipe reduces the bitterness of kakarakaya and is more palatable.
- Small tender karelas or
- Regular sized ones - ½ kg
- Onions - 2
- Ginger -2” piece
- Garlic pods -6
- Coconut (grated) -1 tbsp
- Cinnamon sticks -2
- Cloves - 2
- Jaggery - 1 cm cube
- Red chilies -6
- Oil -8 tsp
- Coriander seeds -1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 tsp
- Salt and turmeric - as required
- Tamarind - lemon sized ball
- scrape the outside of kakara kaya and cut into required shape.
- extract pulp of soaked tamarind add ½ cup of water, bring to boil in a pan and cook the karela pieces till tender.
- Strain the tamarind juice if any and keep aside. 2 grind coconut, red chilies, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds into a paste add chopped onion and grind again.
- 3 heat oil in a pan add the ground masala and fry till it turns light brown in color then add the cooked karelas , salt, jaggery and turmeric cook on low heat.
- Add the strained tamarind water if needed. Take into a serving dish garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Copyright © 2013 Teluguone.com All Rights Reserved