4.0 Stars based on 291
Stuffed tindora is one such classic recipe with each home having it own signature stuffing. Gutti dondakaya masala kura is a curry which calls for some S.Indian spices & ingredients like grated coconut, jaggery, sesame seeds, curry leaves and dashes cloves and cinnamom which blend so well creating a stuffed curry that brings together the sweet flavor of tindora and jaggery, nutty flavor of seasame with a tangy edge of tamarind. And with some hot white steamed rice, it makes a warm and satisfying meal.
- 1/2 kg dondakayalu/tindora, chop ends, make a + slit length wise for stuffing and
- boil in salted water till half cooked and strain
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 green chillis
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsps grated coconut
- 1 1/2 tbsps sesame seeds (nuvvulu)
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated jaggery (adjust according to your choice)
- 1″ cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- small lemon sized tamarind ball
- salt to taste
- few curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilli
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Heat a tsp of oil in a frying pan and add the coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon and sesame seeds and fry on medium heat till you get a nice aroma. Dont burn the spices.
- Just fry for 3-4 mts stirring continuously. Remove and cool. 2 In the same pan, add about a tbsp of oil and add the onions and green chillis and saute for 4-5 mts.
- Finally add the grated coconut and toss for a few seconds. Turn off heat. 3 Once cool, make a paste of the above spices along with ginger-garlic paste, jaggery, tamarind, sauted onions, green chillis, grated coconut and salt.
- 4 Take a tbsp of this paste and stuff each of the slit half-boiled ivy gourds. 5 Heat the remaining oil in a cooking vessel and add some curry leaves, dry red chillis and stir fry for 5-6 seconds.
- Place the stuffed gourds in the pan and let it cook covered on medium heat. 6 After 4-5 mts, uncover the lid and turn the pieces so that they cook all over.
- 7 Cover and cook on low heat till the tendlis become soft. This could take about 15-20 minutes.
- Adjust salt. 8 Turn off heat once cooked and serve with hot white steamed rice.